Shane Claiborne has often tweeted, “I wish the Democrats cared more about life before birth, and I wish the Republicans cared more about life after birth.”
Following Jesus makes me pro-life. I find I am more pro-life than many pro-life people.
For me, pro-life means:
- Opposing abortion, especially as a means of birth control.
- Opposing capital punishment.
- Opposing war. All war.
- Opposing all forms of violence
- Promoting universal healthcare that includes mental health treatment
- Eliminating food deserts.
- Providing safe, affordable housing for everyone.
- Banning guns except in the hands of trained, vetted and licensed persons
- Promoting environmentalism – clean air, clean water, less plastic, recycling everything possible, drastically lowering dependency on fossil fuels, promoting clean energy and renewable resources
- Providing green spaces and recreational areas
- Providing proper sanitation and clean drinking water worldwide
- Doing whatever is necessary to reverse global warming
- Alleviating poverty
- Alleviating all forms of bigotry, including racism
- Reforming police agencies
- Reuniting families
- Providing drug and alcohol treatment
- Promoting alternative sentencing for nonviolent offenders
- Prison reform
- Revamping exploitative capitalism
- Standing up against injustice and on the side of the marginalized
- Treating others with respect
- Refusing to manipulate or coerce
- Welcoming strangers, foreigners, the poor, and the displaced
If you’re going to be pro-life, be pro-life, not just anti-abortion.
Posted on August 30, 2020, in anabaptist, Bible Teaching, Christianity, creation, Jesus, Justice, Kingdom Life, kingdom of God, Peace Shalom Hesed, Spirituality. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
YES, YES, & YES!