WHAT IS FREEDOM?
2 Corinthians 3:17: Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
John 8:34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
Galatians 5: 1: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
Freedom is NOT:
- Doing whatever you want
- Disregarding what is best for others
- The ability to act without constraints or control by any higher authority
- Being out of prison
- No rules, no morals, no ethical standards
- Ignoring the public health
- Toting guns
- Waving flags
Freedom, as understood in the Enlightenment, and therefore by the founding fathers of the United States, means to have the independence to pursue ideas, philosophies, and vocations without restraint from government, organized religion, or caste. Scholars and scientists have the freedom to investigate, experiment, and teach without dogmatic restraint. Freedom to question, doubt, think, and probe remain at the heart of scientific and academic pursuit.
Jesus came to set us free. To and from.
- Free from demonic control
- Free from subservience to human empires
- Free from the bondage of human religion
- Free from sin
- Free from selfishness and pride
- Free from fear
- Free from death
- Free from condemnation
- Free from judgment
- Free from injustice
- Free from prejudice
- Free from the myth of redemptive violence
- Freedom from addictions and hatred
- Free to love God, others (including enemies), nature, and ourselves
- Free to be loved
- Free to serve
- Free to think
- Free to doubt
- Free to enjoy one another
- Free to care for nature
- Free to be fully human
- Free to be fully alive
- Free to create
Jesus-freedom is upside down. The greatest is the servant. The weak are strong. The humble inherit. Dying is good. Money and power are eschewed. Caesar is a pawn.
Jesus-freedom never needs to be violently defended. The sign says, “Freedom isn’t free.” Yes, it is. You don’t earn it, deserve it, or defend it. It comes with Jesus.